After my Upper Second class performance in 2013 (61%), I’m aiming for a First Class in 2014.`So here are my predictions for higher education in 2014:
1) Neither Vince Cable or David Willetts will still be in their current posts
2) A consensus will emerge across three main parties that student visas should not be included as part of the total figures for immigration in the UK
3) There will be talk of an HE Bill to merge HEFCE, QAA and OFFA
4) MOOCs will fizzle out. The new era will not have arrived, millions of people around the world will have watched some brilliant lectures online and we’ll all carry on regardless
5) An FE College will achieve University Title
6) At least one University will have to close or merge to make ends meet
7) Outcomes of the REF will confirm trend towards research concentration, the Government will start to talk about focussing on our 10 best Universities.
8) University application figures will be the highest ever
9) My book will be a bestseller: copies available now
Onwards . . .